Monday, April 2, 2012

7th Anniversary


Aaron and I celebrated our 7th anniversary this year.  And I can say what a fast 7 years it has been.  I can also say it has been quite a whirlwind of adventure for us.  But a great whirlwind, 3 babies later, we are blessed and grateful for everything we have.  So if you have been a long time reader you probably know we always try to give a gift of meaning from the traditional or modern anniversary theme.  This year was copper and wool.  I busted out my glue gun and flower making skills and made a cute little frame with wool flowers and copper leaves.  It turned out really good (at least I think so).  We were also trying not to spend money because the next week we were headed to Napa for some wine tasting and wanted to save our pennies.  So my wonderful and super creative husband came up with this.  I got this letter and a penny to go with it on our way out to dinner.  Here you go...

The Penny

So my gift to you for our 7th anniversary is a penny.  Before you get mad and think that I’m being a cheapskate, let me explain.  Copper is considered an appropriate gift for the 7th anniversary.  Pennies are made of copper, considered a semi-precious metal.  You are very precious to me.  The penny has a date of 2005, the same year we got married.  It can serve as a reminder to you in case you ever forget how long we have been married.  It also states “in God we trust”.  I know that we are building a strong marriage with God as our cornerstone.  Some people consider a penny to be good luck.  I consider myself to be the luckiest man to be married to you.  I do think that you make your own luck in life, but a little more never hurt, just in case.  The penny is the building simplest unit of money so therefore it’s the building block of all other monetary units.  You start adding them up and you start to have something of great worth.  I would like to consider thinks like your friendship, trust, honesty, laughter, etc. as pennies of love; our basic currency upon which we have built a wealthy relationship.  Pennies start off as super shiny when they are brand new, just like the beginning of any relationship.  There’s nothing quite like a shiny new penny.  Looking at this penny you can see that is has started to brown and age.  It has a few nicks and scratches.  Just like any relationship it has gone through different seasons and is changing.  Some people get mad about the tarnish on the penny and always want to try and make it shiny and new.  They don’t realize that as the penny ages it will eventually be covered in a beautiful brand new green-blue patina.  It’s still the same penny, it has just matured.  I hope to grow and mature our relationship with you.  The other thing that people don’t realize is that this new patina actually serves as a protective coating.  The bright shiny penny is still below, under the surface; time, wisdom, and maturity have now made it stronger and still just as beautiful.
I love you.  You are my precious penny.

Happy Anniversary,

Me.

Tears?  I had them.  This is so beautiful and I had to share...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails